Since 1936, Geo. H. Lewis & Sons Funeral Directors has assisted families and helped the community say goodbye to loved ones in a special way. Many remember the high quality of service they received and the beautiful facility, but few are aware of the deeply rooted heritage and history of Geo. H. Lewis & Sons.
Mr. Lewis dedicated his life to funeral service and this dedication began when he started with his uncle, Mr. C. Ed Settegast, in 1901.
In 1936, Mr. Lewis joined the firm of H.L. Fortinberry Funeral Home, located in the old Waddell family home at 2404 Caroline Street in Houston. The firm then changed names to Lewis & Fortinberry.
After a year, Mr. Lewis bought Mr. Fortinberry's share of the business and changed the name of the firm to Geo. H. Lewis & Co.
Due to the service, compassion and respect that families received from Geo. H. Lewis & Co., the business experienced incredible growth and Mr. and Mrs. Lewis decided to involve their four sons in the daily operations. After World War II, the name of the firm changed to the current Geo. H. Lewis & Sons.
In 1952, the Lewis family decided to build a new building in Houston at 405 McGowen, which was the first building in Houston to be specifically constructed as a funeral home.
In 1964, Geo. H. Lewis & Sons built a new funeral home in Houston at the intersection of Westheimer and Sage Road. One year later, in 1965, Geo. H. Lewis Sr. died and left the firm to his wife, Norma, and their four sons Geo. H. Lewis Jr., Gus D. Lewis Sr., Norman F. Lewis, and Bob G. Lewis.
Geo. H. Lewis & Sons conducted the first burials at Memorial Oaks Cemetery, Forest Park Westheimer Cemetery and the Veterans Administration Cemetery (now Houston National Cemetery). In the mid-60s, Geo. H. Lewis & Sons, along with four other funeral homes in Houston, acquired the Memorial Oaks Cemetery from Charles McGregor and developed it into the beautiful cemetery it is today.
In 1969, Geo. H. Lewis & Sons affiliated with the Dignity Memorial® network, the largest network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers in North America. Today, Geo. H. Lewis & Sons continues to be a proud Dignity Memorial provider.
In 1975, due to the area's change from residential to commercial near the McGowen location, the Lewis family moved all operations to the location at Westheimer and Sage Road.
In 1982, Geo. H. Lewis & Sons built a new facility at its current location at 1010 Bering Drive in the heart of Tanglewood, just blocks away from the firm's third home at Sage and Westheimer. Constructed on 3.2 acres of property, the new location included a large parking lot to accommodate the largest of funeral services.
In 1996, the current location of Geo. H. Lewis & Sons was completely renovated. With the addition of The Pavilion and other rooms, the new facility consists of approximately 33,000 square feet. The Jasek Chapel is one of the largest funeral chapels in the city and includes both a Rogers® organ and a Steinway & Sons baby grand piano. The adjoining Pavilion allows family and friends to have catered receptions during and following visitations and services. A virtual tour of our current location showcases its many elegant features and amenities.
Many of the service details, traditions and heritage established by Geo. H. Lewis Sr. are still in place today at Geo. H. Lewis & Sons. The personnel at Geo. H. Lewis & Sons, many of whom have been with the firm for 30 years or more, are dedicated to maintaining the level of service established by its founder.
For over 80 years, it has been our honor to serve the families of the greater Houston community, and we will be honored to continue to serve Houstonians for generations to come.